Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Making the last eight of THAT EPT Grand Final



This blog was written before Johnny Lodden left to play the WSOP Main Event.

The WSOP is front and center for many poker players on the moment, and i am waiting for attending to Las Vegas to play in addition. But I'm also still thinking so much in regards to the European Poker Tour Grand Final in Monte Carlo, which turned out to be an overly nice experience for me.

I've been playing EPTs for plenty of years, and feature come with reference to final tables on many occasions. Just once was I in a position to get there once I finished eighth at EPT Budapest back in 2008. Usually I'll exit ahead of the overall eight, which was just a little frustrating.*

* Those finishes include 9th, 13th, 13th, 14th, 17th and 17th EPT Main Event finishes.

johnny lodden ept9 final blog.jpg

Lodden, relaxed in Monte Carlo

That's what I USED TO BE thinking in Monte Carlo once we set out to 10 players and that i found myself in a horny tough spot. I USED TO BE all in at the flop with a 1% chance of surviving... and that i hit it! That was probably the most productive feeling I've ever had in poker.

The hand was a three-way all-in involving me, a shorter-stacked player (Vasili Firsau), and Steve O'Dwyer. Firsau had A♠5♦, O'Dwyer 9♦9♠, and that i had A♥Q♦.

The flop came 9♣5♣2♠, creating a set for O'Dwyer, and that i was like "FML!" Again it's happened, I BELIEVED. I ENDED ninth at EPT San Remo last year, and that is the reason not a fair feeling. And here I USED TO BE about to complete ninth again.

I bent over to collect my gear, then the turn came the 4♦ and that i heard people go "oooooh!" But I USED TO BE like, "Yeah, sure," and kept gathering my stuff. Then came the river... BAM! The 3♦! Firsau and that i both made a straight, and shortly after he and another player busted and I'd made the general table. That feeling was so, so good. From there it was a complete freeroll. I USED TO BE so happy to be at that final table, and there has been no pressure in any respect.

I have been chip leader for many the tournament. I led after Day 2 and Day 3, and was third in chips after Day 4. But I'd slipped back to the center of the pack and was about average, but after surviving that hand I felt like I USED TO BE chip leading again!

It's funny how the mind works. Entering the general table, it is so different to was down and gotten back up versus being up and having fallen back off. Within the latter case you're feeling such as you need to get your chips back, and also you might play differently consequently. But for me, I ACTUALLY did feel like I USED TO BE freerolling.

It was also awesome to be a part of that final table, which included such a lot of good players. Each player there has been great -- O'Dwyer (who ended up winning), Daniel Negreanu, Jake Cody, Jason Mercier, Andrew Pantling, Grant Levy, Noah Schwartz, and myself. When you find yourself at that sort of ultimate table, you're really desperate to compete and show everyone you belong there and that you are the best.

ept9 grand final table blog.jpeg

(l-r) Grant Levy, Andrew Pantling, Noah Schwartz, Jake Cody, Daniel Negreanu, Johnny Lodden, Jason Mercier, Steve O'Dwyer.

I started the general table fifth in chips, got lucky in a hand versus Daniel four-handed, and ended up finishing third. I USED TO BE pleased with my play on the final table and cannot complain in regards to the finish (3rd, €467,000).

I'll be playing a limited schedule on the WSOP. I'll play the $10K pot-limit Omaha and the principle Event, and possibly the $5K Open Face Chinese event (within the Carnivale of Poker) which I FEEL is probably going going to be huge. I'm waiting for all of that that, but until then I'll enjoy in retrospect a bit more, too, to consider EPT Monte Carlo and that groovy feeling of hitting that 1-in-a-100 hand at the final table bubble!

Johnny Lodden is a member of Team PokerStars Pro.


TreasureIslandJackpots
Read More... [Source: PokerStarsBlog.com :: Players]

No comments:

Post a Comment